Monday, November 5, 2012

Reflections of Presidential Elections Past

This is not intended to be a endorsement riddled post...so look elsewhere if that is what you were looking for. While being bombarded with all sorts of political adds from all sorts of media venues, I have spent the better half of the last several days reflecting on my memories of presidential elections past. The internet allows all voices to have a platform which expands the sources of information.

I was introduced to politics at a young age. When I was 4 or 5, my sisters asked me about what I thought of Ronald Reagan. Fortunately any proof of my response is gone forever (thankfully they couldn't record it on a phone and upload to YouTube)...unless of course that casette tape is lingering somewhere at my parents house!  

Eitherway, as we wrap up another election cycle (thankfully), I wanted to reflect my favorite memories from elections past.



1988
The first election I remember was in 1988. I was 7 years old. Funny that my first introduction to politics involved a former Masasachusetts governor. I remember Michael Dukakis, (D) and George HW Bush relatively well. I remember Dukakis's running mate, Lloyd Bentson. My father always calls him La-LLOYD - random but I'll never forget that. While I don't remember the now famous line Bush uttered at the RNC ("Read my lips no new taxes"), I do remember watching Lloyd Benson's famous debate with Dan Quayle where he unleashed the mother of all political zingers with his famous "...You're no Jack Kennedy" line (below).


My parents were not big fans of Mr Quayle. But I remember my parents being divided due to a concern about whether a Dukakis administration would be friendly to Turkey. Two other things I learned from this election:
1) Who you vote for is a private matter, but dialogue should be plentiful. Asking my parents who they would vote for was like pulling teeth. Although I could have guessed who my parents would be voting for based on their reactions, comments, etc, even my own parents were reluctant to share who they would be voting for.
2) There were no advertisements on our property. Why not? I thought we were missing out when we didn't have signage in our yard or bumper stickers during election season and to this day I still revisit this practice...Not surprisingly I always fall back to keeping matters private

1992
Oh man, this was a great year because we had Ross Perot and his running mate Admiral James Stockdale. Say what you want but Mr Perot was a genuinely, viable third party candidate and probably helped Clinton/Gore win becuase he took votes away from Bush. Perot was great for the then burgeoning 24 news networks and his use of charts and graphics were classic. 

I will forever remember this election cycle due to the awesomeness that was Admiral James Stockdale, one of the most decorated naval officers in the history of the US Navy. His opening line (left) was EPIC (I look forward to the day that someone is this frank at a debate) and I will never forget his commentary as Gore and Quayle were arguing with each other on the dias. (below) He was frank but too unknown. Unfortunately Admiral Stockdale's performance squelched the momentum that Perot had built. Perot still got 18% of the vote on his side in polls up to this point! My middle school held an election and Clinton barely won. I forgot who I voted for.
From here on out it gets a bit murkier for me. I don't remember things as well. I do remember having lots of spirited debates at the lunch table in high school in 1998 and 2000 with my friends. 

1996
Ross Perot was back in the game but nowhere near as effective. I seem to remember Clinton winning this in a landslide against Bob Dole and his running mate Jack Kemp. I don't remember much other than lots of SNL spoofs on the candidates and Bob Dole falling off a stage. 

2000, 2004, 2008
2000 was the first election I got to vote in. While very different, these elections occurred while I was in medical school and residency and my attention to them was moderate, but long since forgotten. We all remember 2000 more so for the election itself and 2004 was sort of a repeat without the dramatic finish. We were introduced to compassionate conservatism, another funny debate moment, the rise of PACs and the "Swiftboating" of Senator Kerry. 

Hope and change, Governor Palin and gosh, what else...I think my mind took a purge after the last election. It is funny how I remember more vividly the elections when I was younger. Perhaps there is too much information overload from a never ending multitude of resources that I just tune out these days. 

Eitherway, Missouri residents, the law protects you for taking time off work to voteUse this link to figure out where your polling place regardless of state.

Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment